reading. riting. 'rithmetic.

Dec 9, 2007

gifts of Christmas

Although materialism has almost destroyed the joy of Christmas in some parts of the world, I maintain that it is fun to have an excuse to buy interesting gifts for the people you love. My obsession with color, penchant for surfing the Web, and interest in design that solves problems has led me to some holiday gems. With Polaroid photography making a comeback on the collegiate scene, why not one-up your palls on Facebook with a Kiev 88 medium format camera? While the cameras do not offer the sharpness of their $3,000 capitalist counterparts, these Soviet models (made in the USSR in the 1950s) capture the world in dreamy, vintage-feeling images. With love from RusCamera Store. For the person who doesn't really want anything, a charitable gift is always an appropriate choice. Heifer International out of Little Rock, Arkansas has an interesting model of providing livestock for communities that becomes sustainable income. Try a llama or a trio of rabbits this Christmas. From Heifer International. I first discovered Utility Canvas in the kitchen of my culinary muse, Ms. Kirk. These unisex aprons are immensely durable and come in nine bright colors. From Utility Canvas. I am always trying to get the word out about Sundance Catalog, Robert Redford's genius retail creation that is the best place for all things artisan and beautiful. Charm the yogi in your life with this silver hand brushed Possibilities Ring. From Sundance. I have recently discovered Zingerman's, a zany bakery, restaurant and wholesaler out of Ann Arbor, Michigan. Their discriminating and internationally savvy food selection can be shipped anywhere in the USA, and this Beginner Cheeses of the World Gift Box should melt the heart of your favorite gourmand. From Zingerman's. As I spend most of my days in a single room that makes up our den, kitchen and living room, I have become more conscious of ingenious ways to make small spaces multitask. This Nomad System from Jaime Salm and Roger Allen is an attractive and practical tool for people in similar circumstances. From Branch, fabulous design for sustainable living. A few months ago Ben and I became addicted to Monocle Magazine, a publication started this February by Wallpaper magazine creator Tyler Brule. It is the most global publication I have ever read, combining interesting editorial work with good art and luxury design from Tokyo to Dubai. The $150 price tag for 10 issues is tough to swallow, but it would be time and money well spent. What would childhood be without the clever German-made Playmobil toys, and what would Christmas be without a nativity? My sister first spotted this set at a cousin's house in the Faroes, and I cannot get over it. From Urban Outfitters. -a

5 Comments:

Blogger Hannah said...

DIRTY DOG, the nativity set is on MY LIST.

12/10/07, 12:36 AM

 
Blogger Hannah said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12/10/07, 12:37 AM

 
Blogger Tracie Faust said...

best list ever. i'm going to try and one up you here in a week or two..but that undoubtedly won't happen...

now that things are slowing down..i'm going to write more on my blog. comment so i dont feel like im talking to no one? deal.

love youuuu

12/10/07, 5:21 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Abby, in response to sundance: I attempted to show support by searching for some horse riding boots. I found a pair (50% off) that were no longer availabe in my size. Even still, I will continue to find something that suits my lifestyle so that I can show support to one of your favorites :)

12/10/07, 2:47 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Incredibly fun list--I love that nativity set, as it is much cuter than the Fisher-Price version, and as older kids play with Playmobil, less chance of a young nephew chewing on Jesus throughout the holiday. That's a tad disconcerting.

12/10/07, 4:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home