reading. riting. 'rithmetic.

Feb 9, 2008

ain't no party like a Faroese party

This is a special blog entry, a birthday blog entry. This week I turned 23-years-old, and to celebrate we had a family party last night. It was festive, it was cozy, and it deserves a round of thank yous.
Hostess with the Mostess This prize goes to fabulous Aunt Magdalena. Six hours before the party was going to start, Ben and I realized our apartment was much too small for the party-goers, and so I asked if we could relocated to her home. She said "yes", and with no visible stress converted her entire kitchen and dining area into party central.
Madame Secretary
One of the highlights of the night (though not the only one!) was getting my gifts, given jointly by the extended family. Ben's cousin Hedvig gets this prize because of her coordination to get me my list of birthday wishes, which included a Stelton vacuum coffee jug and sugar server, and a colorful throw for the living room. I am now as sleek as the Faroese, and humbled by the gorgeous gifts.
Artist in Residence
The incredible cake you see below is the creative work of Cousin Durid. She usually reserves her talent for the birthdays of her young nephew and niece, but at my special request she created a delicious three-foot long cake complete with banana-cream filling and marzipan ladybugs for last night.
The "it" Family
They have only known me for four months, but I continue to wonder at my luck in getting the Rasmussen extended family to be a part of my life. Last night I was surrounded by friends, and honored as one of the clan. The gifts were gorgeous and extravagant, the food delicious, and if I may be as bold to say, fun was had by all.
Special Commendation My last acknowledgment is for Eyðfinn, co-host of the party. His cheerful and tireless work kept the coffee pots filled all night, and it was he who was up the latest cleaning the kitchen. Can it really be my party when it only happened because of the goodwill of so many others?
As a new visitor to the country, Tracie got the particular honor of trying a classic Faroese treat made of air-dried lamb on bread with a pinch of salt.
Madame Secretary herself.
The cake in all of its glory. (And there were really 23 candle on there.)
Ben caught in his own signature child-portrait shot.
- a&b

5 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer Miller said...

That cake is AMAZING! Wow I really like it :D Looks like you had a blast :) Glad your birthday was so great!! HAPPY BELATED! :) Love ya!

2/10/08, 1:19 AM

 
Blogger Durid said...

Túsund takk fyri eitt orduliga hugnaligt kvøld ! :)

2/10/08, 4:18 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm totally jealous of everything that's happening in these photographs. Looks awesome. Happy Birthday!

Evie

2/11/08, 4:23 AM

 
Blogger Jamie said...

happy birthday love :)

2/11/08, 5:11 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Abby, and thanks for sticking Coolio in my head all day!

2/11/08, 9:04 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home