reading. riting. 'rithmetic.

Jan 8, 2008

re-greening our life

Yesterday I started reading “Animal, Vegetable, Miracle”, a family memoir/local foods handbook about a year in author Barbara Kingsolver’s life in which her family moved to a farm in Virginia and made a pact to, “feed ourselves animals and vegetables whose provenance we really knew.” The book passionately describes, “how our family was changed by our first year of deliberately eating food produced from the same place where we worked, went to school, loved our neighbors, drank the water, and breathed the air.” I, in turn, passionately agree with the principles that prompted Kingsolver to write her book. Eating food grown and raised locally is one of the most important ways a household can invest in the place where they live. It cultivates knowledge of growing seasons, local geography, weather patterns and lore that informs an awareness of the earth. Eating locally, which includes eating produce naturally in season, also saves carbon miles, keeps money in local economies, and directly compensates the people who contributed their labor to grow the food. Local eating is also healthy eating, as the products are unprocessed and lack the additives (mostly high fructose corn syrup) that find their way in to almost every grocery store item. One of the reasons I was excited to move to the Faroe Islands was because I assumed I would find a thriving local produce economy. The country is isolated and the independence sentiments strong, so I thought that it would be relatively simple procuring a small range of local food for Ben and myself. I was wrong. The grocery stores are true representations of globalization, with only milk, eggs and cream evidence of Faroese agriculture. Granted, there are environmental challenges here that make food production difficult. If we were to eat strictly Faroese-grown food our diet would consist of fish, lamb and potatoes, seasoned only with salt. Still, I miss the “green” awareness increasingly present in the United States. The small organic food section in the local store is exclusively seen as the “stuff no one buys because it is too expensive.” But I know there is more to the local food scene here. Everyone loves Faroese mutton, people connected to farms savor homegrown potatoes, and hunters bring home wild hares in the fall for dinner. My problem is that I am not connected to local agriculture. There is no Web database of local producers; if a Faroese person wants something, they know exactly which neighbor to call. Inspired by my current read, I am reinvigorating my efforts to live locally. Sixty percent of you who read this blog are Faroese, and you know the farmers, growers and doers of this country. I need your help to find out what resources are available. If you have any ideas, leave a comment or send an e-mail!
  • Who would sell me local lamb meat? At what times of year can it be purchased?
  • Is there someone living in the Klaksvík area that would let me use their property to start a small garden this spring?
  • What kinds of vegetables will grow here? When is the growing season?
  • Does anyone in the Faroes produce cheese, from either sheep or cows?
  • Could I buy butter, milk, cream or eggs directly from a producer?
  • I would like to build a small window box for growing herbs and starting plants. Is there anyone with a workshop where I could bring my materials and assemble them?
  • Where can I buy vegetable seeds or seedlings?
-a

4 Comments:

Blogger Leah said...

Abs! You are great and I appreciate your post - thank you for your conviction and challenging my cadbury-chocolate-filled-self to green things up.

love to you my friend!

1/9/08, 1:33 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good thoughts, and I wish you well in your endeavors. There are a lot of vegetables you can grow in pots on your porch, if you can't find a plot of earth. Just be sure to grow the veggies that thrive there. Do you remember the story of how Great Peggy sent Grandpa Ken radish and lettuce seeds while he was in the Pacific during WWII? When he planted them, the radishes grew lots of leaves, but no real radishes to speak of, while the lettuces produced little but an incredible root system.

Eating local is an area where I feel I have made the most efforts to "green" my life, in part because it's easy to do in this part of the world. It's great in the summer and fall because I have access to all sorts of produce through the farmer's market, the local natural foods co-op and through a Community Supported Agriculture group (perhaps you can help get one of those started). I've found eating local to be quite affordable since I don't end up buying pre-made foods. It also helped that we were able to freeze a lot of produce (I still have to learn how to can). Unfortunately, the winter leaves me eating lots of turnips and rutabegas, so I naturally turn to canned vegetables from unknown sources. I guess we can't be perfect!

1/9/08, 3:16 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have to remember people live in the Faroes AGAINST ALL ODDS.

If you're going to eat local, you can't eat any bread or any fruit - except from rhubarbs. Those are the harsh realities.

But there are ways to green up Faroese life:

Never use a car: You can get everywhere by either using your feet or public transport

Never order anything from abroad: Even though it is extreemly difficult and tasteless to eat only local food, you can try to eat as much local as possible, and only buy stuff where the production took place locally - yarn, books, bread etc. :)

Never use a dryer:
Linedry your clothes - always. It is possible. I've tried it, but still haven't got a clothesline in our new house.

Good luck :)

- Do...

1/10/08, 10:09 AM

 
Blogger Devi said...

I've been wanting to read that book for a while now. Must get my hands on it. I long to eat what I grow and am trying to do that here (I started with herbs...start small, you know). We'll see what happens. Looking forward to see what you come up with.

1/13/08, 10:02 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home